Sticking around Calgary for the long weekend? With sunny skies in the forecast and a plethora of Canada Day activities in store, this is a great weekend to stay put. Still looking for ideas for this weekend? We’ve rounded up a few for ya!
• Hit up Riverfront Avenue. The party starts at 10:00 am and wraps up with fireworks at 11:45 pm. Calgary sweethearts Tegan and Sara are just one of the acts on deck for the celebrations
• Go check out a big red ball. No, seriously. It’s 115 kilograms, it measures 4.5 meters in diameter, and it will be celebrating Canada Day in our fair city. This temporary art installation, dubbed the RedBall Project, has appeared in 30 cities worldwide since 2001. The big red ball will be gracing a different Calgary landmark each day leading up to Canada Day, when it will be having a ball (ha!) at Olympic Plaza
• Be part of a living flag at Fort Calgary between 11:00 am and 12:00 pm, and afterwards stick around for all sorts of kid-friendly activities including a petting zoo, craft tent and photo booth
• Celebrate Canada Day the old-fashioned way and hit Heritage Park. The first 2017 guests get a free pancake breakfast, and then the fun continues with live music, mini chuckwagon races, boat rides and more!
• In 2017 Canada turns 150….and Confederation Park turns 50! At 11:00 am, their 1967 time capsule will be opened (Beatles poster anyone?). Other fun stuff includes a pancake breakfast (of course), horse-drawn carriage rides, live entertainment and more family friendly activities
Happy sesquicentennial anniversary Canada (we’re going to miss that word!)