What is one of the best things about the weather turning cold? Soup! This winter staple, often tossed aside during the hot summer months, is a tasty way to get in your veggies, warms you up from the inside, and makes your kitchen smell amazing! Bring on the cold temperatures, with this Tortilla Soup recipe.
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for frying
• 1 large onions, chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 1/4 tsp. coarse kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
• 1 teaspoon taco or fajita seasoning
• 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 2 cans (28 oz. each) diced tomatoes
• Juice of 1 lime or 2 key limes
• 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
• 5 small corn tortillas
Toppings (Per Serving)
• Tortilla Strips
• 1/4 avocado, sliced
• 1 tbsp sour cream
• 1 tbsp salsa
• ¼ cup grated Cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
• 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
• 1 sliced green onion
• 2 tbsp corn
1. Preheat the oven to 250°C
2. Heat 1/2 tbsp. olive oil in a large pot (at least 5 qts.) over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, around 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, salt, cumin, and chile flakes and cook 2 minutes.
3. Add broth, tomatoes, and lime juice and increase heat to a gentle simmer; cook 20 minutes.
4. Cut tortillas half and then into 2-3” strips. Spread strips over baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. Mix 1½ tbsp olive oil with taco seasoning (we use Old El Paso), paint oil mixture over tortilla strips with a meat brush. Bake tortilla strips for 15-20 minutes.
6. Purée soup in batches in a blender. Return soup to pot and resume simmering. In a bowl, pull chicken breasts into pieces with two forks, or one fork and your fingers. Add to soup and simmer 5 – 7 minutes, until chicken is just cooked through.
7. Serve hot immediately after sprinkling with desired toppings.
Makes 5 meal-size 2-cup servings or 10 starter-size 1-cup servings